Software development works around Design that any changes occurred will harm the whole project. Rapid application development will boost the design process.
The agile software development model might not be unfamiliar with most IT outsourcing companies worldwide. Agile methodology allows development teams to divide their projects into small sprints, which are time-boxed mini-projects. The Rapid Application Development (RAD) can be seen as an effective Agile strategy, which commonly applies in mobile app development and web application development services.
RAD model appreciates the fast-paced projects, which offer a faster delivery solution to the software development process. The core approach of RAD related to rapid turnaround and cut down the execution period. So, how RAD model works and how we effectively attach it to the management system?
Dynamic definition of Rapid Application development
RAD model in software engineering focuses on rapid prototype and feedbacks, which reduces the delivery time of each cycle in Agile development methodology. Approaching the RAD process, developers have a high capacity to make a rapid update in development tasks without starting the new one.
RAD model will be work more effectively for projects with the tie plan and schedule. Feedbacks refer to the recording of ideas and requirement. Particularly, RAD emphasis prototype iterations, which allow the software owners measuring and testing on a real-time basis to rapidly detect bugs or issues. As a result, the final software promises to be delivered fasters with limitation of changes.
Rapid application development Model
In this section, we introduce the benefits and drawbacks of applying the RAD model to the software development process. Obviously, The RAD methodology cannot work in every case. We will show you why.
Advantages of RAD model
- Reduction of projects’ uncertainty: the capacity to rapidly provide projects’ prototype, which can be seen as a visual form of software in the development phase, allows clients to review and make changes on time. When the clients agree with the prototype designs by feedbacks, developers can handily implement the coding process restarting any phrases during the entire projects.
- Quality guarantee: With appropriate prototype confirmed by clients and development teams, the testing tasks will initially perform to ensure the software functions follow the prototypes. Through feedbacks, development teams record the requirements and select the technical solution that fit with clients’ expectation.
- Rapid delivery time: Clients assume to benefit from faster delivery of mobile apps and web applications, which promise to be launched earlier. It does not mean that the final software constraint in only one version. Its new features can be released continuously.
Disadvantages of RAD methodology
- Require highly skilled developers: As tire plan and schedule, performing RAD does require skilled development teams to eliminate the time consuming of the skill gap. As a result, the collaboration among development team members refers to the heart of the successful RAD model. In which, the small team working closely with each other to reduce any possibility of conflicts.
- Frequently generate high-cost project: Due to the team of highly skilled developers working in a tied schedule, clients need cannot pay it low. To deal with this drawback, several companies outsource the rapid application development to low-cost countries. Particularly, several software development companies in Vietnam offers RAD services at more affordable prices in comparison with the remaining parts of the world.
Which criteria lead companies using Rapid Application Development
- Project without strict budget constrain: In principal, RAD requires a higher budget than other development models. Although the development periods tend to be shorter, hiring talent coders cannot be a cheap investment in all cases. With the budget constrain, there will be limited partners for enterprises to be select in RAD projects. So, considering your pocket before starting any RAD phrase.
- Project with tire schedule: If you have a software development plan which needs to be done soon, you should straightly typically go with the RAD model.
- Projects with iterated prototype testing: As mention above, the core element, which dominates the RAD methodology is Feedback. Developers need on-time feedbacks to continue their works. If you do not have a reliable feedback team, you should consider changing to other methodologies.
Also read: Having a great mobile app idea? What next?
Rapid application development phrases
1. Constructing requirements and planning
The initial step of every RAD projects starts with Planning Phrase when the app development company collect and evaluate the clients’ requirement. In which, the development team and their client discuss regarding the expectations and goals. Additionally, they will define what potential risks and difficulties enclosed with the available solutions.
THREE principles in requirement and planning phase:
- Clarify the requirements
- Evaluate the potential issues and solution
- Getting approve the plan with clients
With a clear plan, the development team gets its performance more smoothly and ensure that they are on the same page with clients. From the client’s perspective, they will handily control their budget and what developers will do in the projects.
As mention below, RAD methodology focuses on prototype iterations, which means that the UX-UI Design phase makes RAD standing out from other management frameworks. This phrase requires clients and developers to work closely in a prototype lifecycle to ensure they meet all the requirements. The lifecycle will continue looping until clients got full satisfaction.
THREE stages in prototype lifecycle:
- Demonstrate: an introduction of prototype outline
- Refine: Clients add their considerations
- Built: design and modify follow client’ needs
3. Feedback and Testing
In the RAD model, users will test every single prototype and deliver feedbacks simultaneously. This phrase discovers all the bugs encounter during testing. Whereas developers will fix and deliver the other version in an iterative process. At the end of the phase, the final satisfied prototypes will be fully formed without any potential issues.
4. Rapid construction
Since bugs and problems seemingly fixed in previous phrases, developers can focus on converting designed prototyped into the working app. Comparing with traditional models, RAD speeds up the developers’ work due to a combination of the prototype and testing in delivering the lower risks in the development process.
FOUR stages involving in rapid construction phrase:
- Preparing for construction
- Programing and developing application
- App integrating and testing
It is the final step in the RAD process, in which the finish apps got ready to launch in the market. However, in cutover phrases, clients also have their right to changeover and get full support from the software development company. Any arising change will come along with another rapid construction process.
Read more: System development life cycle guideline
In conclusion, although illustrating various benefits, there are some limitations contained in the RAD model. Obviously, each project management strategy will support certain projects. In order to select the proper models, clients should consider the suggestion from experienced software development companies to gathering their own answers.